Likewise, people ask, what areas of the Atlantic seafloor have the youngest rocks the oldest?
The rocks that make up the crust on the ocean’s floor are youngest near the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. They are colored red in this picture. The rocks are older (yellow, green) further from the spreading ridge. Molten lava pours out at the mid-ocean ridge.
Secondly, what is the age of the youngest oceanic crust? 180 million years
Consequently, where are the youngest areas of the Atlantic Ocean?
The location of the youngest rocks on the seafloor shows that new rocks form in the middle of the ocean, the same location as the shallowest area of the ocean. This line of new, relatively shallow rocks is known as the mid-Atlantic Ridge.
What is the age of the seafloor at the Mid Atlantic Ridge?
The two parts of the oceanic plate are pulled apart, and magnetic stripes become older as they move away from the mid-ocean ridge. The figure shows the spreading ridge about 5 million years ago (a), about 2 to 3 million years ago (b) and nowadays (c).
How is an oceanic ridge different from an oceanic rise?
Why are mid ocean ridges higher in elevation than the surrounding ocean floor?
Is there an Antarctic Ocean?
Can you name all the oceans in the world?
Why should we care about the ocean?
What is the structure of the ocean floor?
What are the major oceans and seas?
Which ocean has the most fish?
What are some features of the ocean floor?
Which is second largest ocean in the world?
- 12 Is 6.5 inch big?
- 39 Does Hermione die in Harry Potter and the cursed child?
- 39 What cars have the most expensive catalytic converters?
- 39 What should I comment on someone singing?
- 37 Is Newsmax TV available on Spectrum?
- 28 How do I stop AntiVirus from deleting files?
- 39 Can you use a meat thermometer for oil?
- 27 How much should it cost to replace a pressure tank?
- 29 How do I reset my LG fridge control panel?
- 39 Are all fuels stores of chemical energy?